May 6, 2019 | AtoZ Markets – Since the blockchain appearance, the growing demand on the blockchain developers was just a matter of time. However, not many people understand what kind of profession the “blockchain developer” is, what skills the person needs to acquire to become a good specialist in this new area and what tasks the blockchain developer has to perform every day. Atoz Markets decided to find out.
The technological giants acquire more blockchain specialists
Back in 2018, within three weeks on their career page, Facebook listed five blockchain-related vacancies, two of which were first listed Dec. 5 and 6. The social media giant continues the headhunt for blockchain data engineers, product managers and team leads for their blockchain division. Amazon along with Facebook could be considered the first technological giants to start taking the blockchain technology seriously.
Last November tech giant, announced it is now introducing two new blockchain products: Quantum Ledger Database (QLDB), and Amazon Managed Blockchain. It is worth to mention, that in 2017, the company dismissed the idea of launching its own blockchain service. The CEO explained the reason for this:
“We genuinely didn’t understand what the real customer need is; the culture inside AWS is we don’t build things for optics, we only spend the resources to build things when we really understand the problem.”
The main skills of blockchain developer are networking and programming
As one of the blockchain medias reports, by the end of 2017, the total number of software engineers with any experience working on Blockchains was under 30,000.
The blockchain by itself is a quite new industry, so it is hard to imagine, that out of these 30000 at least a thousand were highly proficient in the range of skills, programming languages, and experience that it takes to create new blockchain systems.
But the time has passed, the blockchain industry has grown since then and certain educational facilities, including Wharton and Stanford, started offering the blockchain courses. So the process of acquiring important for the blockchain developer’s profession skills became simpler and quicker. The blockchain developer’s set of skills include the following:
- Peer-to-Peer (P2P) networking
- Cryptography and Crypto-currencies
- Consensus algorithms
- Risk analysis, data security, anomaly detection
- Smart contract development
- Distributed ledger / Distributed application development
- Distributed storage
The blockchain specialist needs to understand how to use certain tools, libraries, plugins and services to implement the blockchain technology, like MongoDB, Node.js, and NoSQL.
Blockchain developer usually also has a strong track record collaborating in open source communities like StackOverflow and Github.
However, do not be afraid of such an extensive list of abilities. It is highly unlikely that any person can have all of the above-mentioned skills. The languages and tools used for the blockchain systems depend on the industry, use case, integration requirements, and developer preferences.
One of the biggest obstacles that stand in the way of something new and revolutionary, including blockchain technology, is acquaintance with the system, concepts, and paradigms. There are certain terms that every blockchain developer needs to know:
- blockchain – a chain of blocks, where each block contains immutable cryptographically encrypted data without any third-party control. See the difference blockchain from the traditional database.
- decentralization – the absence of a central government that controls something; the blockchain is a distributed registry, that is, decentralized.
- consensus mechanism – the mechanism by which a decentralized network reaches agreement: PoW and PoS, DPoS, PoI.
- mining and miners: the process of mining cryptocurrency and users who give their computing power to it.
It is also important to pay attention to the economic aspects of the blockchain, sometimes it is critical, especially if the project goes to ICO on its own, having a technological product, but a completely weak business model.
The main tasks of blockchain developer
The development of blockchain technology has led to the emergence of a wide range of blockchain specialists, including blockchain-engineer, blockchain-developer, and blockchain-researcher. Blockchain developers usually work with cryptographic tools and decentralized services and write smart contracts.
According to the blockchain developer’s job description on one of the careers sites, the main blockchain specialist’s tasks and responsibilities include :
- Research, design, develop, and test blockchain technologies
- Brainstorm and help evaluate applications for new tools and technologies as they continually evolve
- Maintain and extend current client- and server-side applications responsible for integration and business logic
- Be involved in the global blockchain community—work on implementing and integrating the latest improvement proposals
- Document new solutions as well as maintaining that of existing ones
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use.
- Write well-designed, testable, efficient code using the latest development best practices.
- Collaborate with designers to implement and improve design comps.
- Optimize applications for maximum speed and scalability.
Where blockchain developers can work?
There are several areas for which the blockchain technology is considered by the world community as a necessity and where the blockchain developer could start his/her career:
- Banking and stock market. The introduction of the blockchain allows safely store data, detect fraudulent schemes in advance, make financial transactions without arbitrators, increase the speed of transactions and reduce commissions.
- Logistics and supply. The blockchain enables to track the entire path of the parcels, which reduces the possibility of cargo loss.
- Insurance. The introduction of smart contracts that unfold automatically upon the occurrence of the insurance incident, can increase returns in this area.
- Copyright. Due to the immutability of the blockchain structure, it will be possible to easily determine the copyright of intellectual content, which will reduce the possibility of theft of someone else’s property.
- In the energetic industry blockchain technology enables to reduce the costs of reports and infrastructure so that even small owners of solar panels will be able to sell their electricity very profitably.
People acquire new skills in order to be in demand and appreciated in the labor market. Thus, it is crucial to stay in tune with the trends of economics and technology against the background of the global computerization.
After the blockchain stepped into the market, it revolutionized the technology world. Considering, that this new industry seems to remain popular for a long, the people who are involved in that kind of technology will stay in demand.
Please share your thoughts with us in the comment box below.