But what are Forex trading hours during christmas? The information you will find in this article will also help you know stock market trading hours during christmas and when new year trading hours starts.
Can you trade Forex on holidays?
Is the Forex market open on holidays? This is an interesting question. Generally, we can subdivide holidays into local and global holidays.
If it is a local holiday, trading does not stop, as there is an enormous amount of liquidity to support almost any currency pair, especially the major pairs.
For example, the Forex schedule is kept at Easter, although other markets such as stocks or indices may undergo modifications.
However, exotic pairs and some cross pairs may be disabled.
For example, the pairs containing the RUB are not traded during Orthodox Christmas day, as there is no liquidity when the Russian market is closed.
On the other hand, we refer to global holidays only when operations stop worldwide. This does not necessarily mean that the entire planet takes a break, but rather that it is not possible to operate during particular hours.
An example of this type of holiday can be Christmas. Even if it is not celebrated geographically on most of the planet, it is a celebration of almost every major financial center. For this reason, you cannot trade Forex during this period.
Your broker will inform you about the reduced hours during the holidays according to the different financial instruments.
The periods when liquidity is low are less interesting since the negotiation can be more complicated or less profitable. There is generally less trading volume on world stock exchanges in the summer and after December 20 of each year.
Very often, global stock exchanges are closed on public holidays or trading volume or hours are reduced. These days of the year are different for each country, but the most important are:
- New Year
- July 4th in the US
- The festival of the moon in the Asian session
- Dec. 24th
- December 31st
If you are planning to trade this Christmas and new year, you need to know the following guidelines. Understanding the various hours will be a valid help to make the best investments.
What are the 2021 Christmas trading hours?
This year, Christmas day falls on Saturday. This means that on Saturday 25 the hours for trading will be somewhat limited.
Monday, 27 December – Forex Currency Pairs – All Pairs – Normal hours
Commodity CFDs – Gold, Silver, US Crude, US Natural Gas- Normal hours
Meanwhile, the national holiday in the UK, Boxing day falls this year on Sunday. This is also the second day of Christmas, so the hours for trading a number of financial instruments might be affected.
Is the stock market open on Christmas Eve?
Yes, albeit early. The stock market usually closes at 1:00 pm on Christmas Eve. However, the US Financial Markets and Securities Industry Association recommends a 2 p.m. close for bond trading on Thursday, December 23.
But there will be no early closure for the stock markets, according to the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq Recommendations.
In the commodities complex, the energy and metals markets will close in their normal hours, with trading in metals, including the GC00 gold futures on Comex, ending at 1:30 p.m. ET, and trading in crude oil. West Texas Intermediate at the New York Mercantile Exchange scheduled to conclude at 2:30 pm.
Most of the global financial markets will be closed on Friday, January 3, 2021 for New Years Day, but the US markets will not.
For the first time in a decade, there will be no closing of the stock market in observance of New Years Day due to an obscure NYSE Rule 7.2.
2022 new year trading hours
These are the 2022 New Year trading hours. Please check your individual brokers for more detailed timings for the instruments you are trading.
Friday, 31 December 2021
- FOREX trading has an early close at 6:00 pm UK time;
- Commodities trading has an early close at 6:00 pm UK time;
- US Indices trading has an early close at 6:00 pm UK time;
- US Shares trading has an early close at 6:00 pm UK time;
- Euronext Shares trading is closed on December 31;
- European Indices trading is either closed completely or will have an early close at 1:00 pm UK time;
- Gold trading on New Year’s eve will also have an early close at 6:00 pm UK time;
- Trading cryptocurrencies with Crypto exchanges on New Year’s eve will not have any limitation, you can trade them non-stop;
- Trading bitcoin with Forex brokers on New Year’s eve will have early close at 6:00 pm UK time depending on broker’s liquidity providers;
- Free Forex Signals on AtoZMarkets will not have any limitation, you can subscribe and receive daily Free Bitcoin and Forex Signals.
Saturday, 1 January 2021
- FOREX trading will be closed for New Year's day;
- Commodities trading will be closed for New Year's day;
- US Shares trading will be closed for New Year's day;
- Euronext Shares trading will be closed for New Year's day;
- European Indices trading will be closed for New Year's day;
- US Indices trading will be closed for New Year's day;
- Gold trading on New Year’s day will be closed for New Year's day;
- Trading cryptocurrencies with Crypto exchanges on New Year’s day will not have any limitation, you can trade them non-stop;
- Trading bitcoin with Forex brokers on New Year’s day will be closed for New Year's day;
- Free Forex Signals on AtoZMarkets will not have any limitations, you can subscribe and receive daily Free Bitcoin and Forex Signals.
All the markets will resume trading normally on January 3. However, you should expect liquidity and volatility issues when the market opens or even before they close on December 31, 2021. So, be prepared!
What is the best time to trade Forex?
The best time to trade Forex is directly related to the sessions of the markets of Europe, Asia and the United States.
How do sessions affect the Forex market?
The moments of greatest volatility coincide with the openings of the 3 main sessions (Europe, Asia and the United States):
- The session in Europe begins with the London opening at 08:00 GMT.
- The session in Asia begins with the opening of Tokyo at 00:00 GMT.
- The session in the US begin at 12 p.m. GMT.
You must take into account these details:
- Each session has some closely related currency pairs and in the minutes following the opening of each session, there is greater volatility in these pairs.
- The opening that produces the greatest volatility is that of the session in Europe. The moments of greatest fluctuations generally occur between 30 minutes before the opening and 2 and a half hours after it.
- The higher trading volumes coincide with the overlap between the US session and the European session.
- It is not usually advisable to keep open positions during the weekend. Fridays are usually the right days to close open positions during the week and thus avoid major swings or unexpected gaps during the weekend.
- On Sundays or during holiday periods, the trading volume is usually low, so the market is more manipulable. Most traders choose to invest in Forex avoiding these times of lower volume.
So, the best time to invest in Forex is between 08:00 GMT and 16:59 GMT, coinciding with a greater number of traders operating in the currency market and therefore with a large trading volume. During this time, most of the daily trading of the entire Forex market takes place.
AtoZ Markets team wish you an awesome 2022
2021 Christmas and New Year trading hours and schedule will help you to see what is expected in the market overall. However, every broker is different. You should contact your broker for the exact market opening and closing hours. In 2022 we have some great news planned for you. Stay tuned!
Now, let's put the market to the side. All of us at AtoZ Markets would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Prosperous, Happy New Year for 2022. Let's make 2022 awesome!