You can now download the USDX indicator for free on AtoZ Markets indicators gallery.
USDX (MetaTrader indicator) calculates the dollar index (USDX or DXY) using the EUR/USD, USD/JPY, GBP/USD, USD/CAD, USD/CHF and USD/SEK currency pairs. The formula used for calculation is the following:
USDX = 50.14348112 × EURUSD-0.576 × USDJPY0.136 × GBPUSD-0.119 × USDCAD0.091 × USDSEK0.042 × USDCHF0.036
The resulting indicator resembles USDX — a dollar index traded on ICE. The index was introduced in 1973 at an initial value of 100. The rules for its calculation were updated only once — in 1999 to reflect the introduction of euro.
The presented indicator is displayed in form of candlesticks (MT5 version) or a line (MT4 version) with two removable and customizable moving averages. The indicator is shown in the separate chart window and may complement the research of any dollar-based currency pair.
Although the USDX indicator is available for both MT4 and MT5 versions of the platform, the MT5 version is much more robust than the MT4 one, offering faster, more accurate and up-to-date index calculation. The MetaTrader 5 version also displays the whole candles, while MetaTrader 4 users have to choose, which line to draw — Open, High, Low or Close.
It is very easy to modify the given USDX indicator to calculate and display any other currency index.
Input parameters used in both MT4 and MT5 versions of USDX:
- IndexPairs (default = "EURUSD, USDJPY, GBPUSD, USDCAD, USDSEK, USDCHF") — currency pairs' names to use in calculation.
- IndexCoefficients (default = "-0.576, 0.136, -0.119, 0.091, 0.036, 0.042") — currency pairs' coefficients to use in calculation. The order of coefficients matters; each coefficient corresponds to its currency pair.
- IndexInitialValue (default = 50.14348112) — initial value for USDX calculation.
- MA_Period1 (default = 13) — period of the first moving average. Set to 0 to turn it off.
- MA_Period2 (default = 17) — period of the second moving average. Set to 0 to turn it off.
- MA_Mode1 (default = 0) — method of calculation of the first moving average: 0 — MODE_SMA, 1 — MODE_EMA, 2 — MODE_SMMA, 3 — MODE_LWMA.
- MA_Mode2 (default = 0) — method of calculation of the second moving average.
Input parameters only for MT4 version of USDX:
- USDX_PriceType (default = 0) — type of price to display for USDX: 0 — PRICE_CLOSE, 1 — PRICE_OPEN, 2 — PRICE_HIGH, 3 — PRICE_LOW, 4 — PRICE_MEDIAN, 5 — PRICE_TYPICAL, 6 — PRICE_WEIGHTED.
Input parameters only for MT5 version of USDX:
- MaxBars (default = 500) — maximum number of bars to calculate the indicator on. Set to 0 for unlimited bars calculation.
- MA_PriceType1 (default = PRICE_CLOSE) — type of price to calculate the first moving average on.
- MA_PriceType2 (default = PRICE_CLOSE) — type of price to calculate the second moving average on.
- EventNumber (default = 191) — number of the event for MCSpy indicator. You do not have to modify this parameter if you do not use MCSpy for some other indicators or expert advisors.
How to trade with USDX indicator
While no trading signals can be offered by the USDX on its own, it can be used in comparison with the chart of some dollar-based currency pair. It might be a good idea to buy when the USDX declines but the current currency pair is rising, or sell when the USDX goes up but the currency pair is falling. Such divergence would mean that the currency pair is much stronger than the other components of the dollar index.
Additional advantage of this indicator is the use of the moving average on the USDX to detect the current trend.
Want to trade with USDX indicator with a regulated broker? Open a free account with AtoZ Markets approved forex brokers:
How to download and install an indicator
In order to install the indicator on your MT4 or MT5 platform, you need to follow these steps:
- Click on the “Download Indicator” button located at the bottom of the screen.
- Save the file to your computer.
- Extract and move the files into the MT5>Indicator folder of the MetaTrader4 software file directory.
- Restart your Metatrader platform.
- Navigate to “Indicators.”
- And select the "USDX" indicator template to apply it on the chart.
Note: This indicator was developed by a third party. AtoZ Markets does not carry any copyrights over this trading tool.
Should you trade USDX Indicator on your own at all?
Before you start trading with USDX indicator, you'll want to read this.
Our in-house trading expert Dr Yury Safronau, PhD in Economic Sciences, gives you daily his best forex, metals, and cryptocurrencies to buy and sell signals right now.
His trading strategies which are based on non-linear dynamic models have achieved more than 65 000 pips of profits since 2015. And right now there are some very strong buy and sell signals across several markets you don't want to miss.
Want to see which ones?